The Many Names of the Petitcodiac River
|c1670||Petgotgoiag||Micmac Indians - Pere Pacifique|
|1686||Petcoucoyer||de Meulles Map (earliest French reference)|
|1755||Petcudiac||Abijah Willard's Journal (Webster)|
|1758||Petcoudiack||Scott's Expedition Map|
|1958||Pittquidyack||Grant of Hillsborough Township|
|1765||HILLSBOROUGH||Henry Alline's Journal|
|1781||Petit Codiack||Commissioners on Loyalist Claims|
|1784||Petty Coat Jack||The Petitcodiac, Wright|
|c1810-36||Memorials, Deeds, Newspapers of this period|
R.P. Pacificque de Valigny - Chronicles Des Plus Anciennes Eglises de l'Acadie, 1944. This Capuchin Monk of Ste. Anne de Ristigouche (note spelling) became an authority on the Micmac Language, writing a Micmac Grammar in 1939.
All other references, unless so marked, are taken from The Monograph, No 2 - "Place - Nomenclature" (1896) 261-262, by W.F. Ganong, and are cited in the Pincombe Thesis, p. 6. Ganong believed that the name Petitcodiac came from Petitcoudie (the little bend) as opposed to the big bend of the North River in back of the village of Petitcodiac, where indeed the river does "bend like a bow." But he could not understand how "coude" became "codiac," nor did the French use this form in any of their records. He was certain it represented the effort of the English to restore a French form to a word supposed to be of French origin.