BRIEF HISTORY

H.M.C.S. Coverdale is one of seven Supplementary Radar Stations under the administrative command of the Senior Officer, Supplementary Radio Stations. 

The Station is situated approximately three miles from Moncton, New Brunswick, on the opposite side of the Petitcodiac River.

The Station originated as an HF DF station during the Second World War, and staffed by WRCNS fulfilled an important role in the locating and tracking of German U-Boats in the Atlantic.

Following a post war slump, its potential value was appreciated and a gradual enlargement of operational scope and physical facilities took place. In 1956, the Station was commissioned as H.M.C.S. Coverdale. The direction finding capabilities of the station have since been increased to the period where this station is now alternate net control for the combined U.S. - Canadian HF DF net.

The Station is under the operational control of Director of Supplementary Radio Activities and related agencies.

TOTAL ESTIMATED VALUE

Buildings         $1,200,000.00
Furnishings            43,816.48
Equipment           382,470.49

Total:             $1,626,286.97

 

P.M.Q's  H.M.C.S. COVERDALE

The first sixteen houses in "Coverdale" were completed in the fall of 1949 at an approximate cost of $8,000 per unit, and were referred to, by the local paper, as "architectural monstrosities." The houses were built in an "ELL" shape row, across the bottom of the field and up towards the station. The houses which were built at a right angle to the main highway are situated on the old driveway leading to the station. The present driveway was built just prior to construction of the houses. The roadway which was built in front of the houses parallel to the main highway was named "Runnymeade Road."

The houses were allocated to the OIC, LT. Waters (Coverdale was not yet commissioned), the Senior Chief PO, the Regulating PO and vitualling storesman. The remainder was allotted to the Chief and Petty Officers and Leading Seamen and below, on a point system which has long since been abolished.

The houses were heated with coal furnaces, using a low grades of coal. Many of the occupants were unfamiliar with coal furnaces and the "banking of a fire" at night. Consequently many families experienced some cold nights during the winter of 1949; 50, until "father" learned how to operate the furnace correctly. During the summer of 1950, the furnaces were converted to oil and in later years, as the units became unserviceable, they were replaced with the conventional oil furnace. 

The remaining twenty-four houses were constructed in 1952 and of varied designs and sizes at a cost of $244,000.

Total value of P.M.Q's less depreciation, $372,000.

 

MARRIED AND SINGLE QUARTERS

Single quarters are at present taxed to capacity using all available cabin space in all buildings. An accommodation building built in 1958 has accommodation for 34 single personnel. An additional 20 men are accommodated in spaces in the Administration building made over into sleeping quarters. This is not a satisfactory arrangement and construction of a wing on the existing accommodation building is considered necessary.

The forty existing P.M.Q's are considered insufficient to meet the demands placed upon them. An average of 50 married personnel must find accommodation ashore. An additional 10 P.M.Q.'s are considered necessary.

 

H.M.C., N.R.S. COVERDALE
Historical Chronology of Coverdale
(From The Directorate of History, Dept. of National Defence)

February 1944 Opened as a High Frequency/Direction Finding Naval Radio Station, the largest in the Canadian net or organization, to intercept and plot radio transmissions from German U-boats. Staffed by members of the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service. Lieutenant Evelyn Cross, WRCNS was the Commanding Officer (1943-1945).
December 1, 1949 Commissioned as Her Majesty's Canadian Naval Radio Station. First Commanding Officer Lieutenant (C) D.M. Waters, RCN.
July 1, 1956 Designated as Her Majesty's Canadian Naval Ship Coverdale.
July 11, 1966 Canadian Forces Supplementary Radio System established of which station forward part.
July 19, 1966 Designated Canadian Forces Station (CFS) Coverdale.
1971 Closed.
   

 

SHIP'S BADGE - H.M.C.S. COVERDALE
(From The Directorate of History, Dept. of National Defence)

 Blazon: Vert, a cross patonce Argent in the centre of which a torteau charged with a foul anchor of the second and between each arm of the cross a wing Or.
Significance:

This Radio Station of the Royal Canadian Navy derived its name from the community of Coverdale in New Brunswick where it is located.

This place was first settled by a handful of very devout peple, and they gave their new settlement its name in honour of Miles Coverdale the great religious reformer who was at one time Bishop of Exeter, England. Miles Coverdale had much to do with the translation of the Bible into English, and is accredited with the preparation of the Church of England Book of Common Prayer.

In the badge, the cross patonce is in reference to Miles Coverdale. The red disc or "torteau" as it is termed in heraldry, with wings of gold, is derived from the old non-substantive badge of Wireless Telegraphy Ratings. The green background indicates that this Station is on dry land.

Ships's Colours: White and Green
Motto:

 

"NON DEFIGIUNT IN VIGILHUS SUIS"
(They never fail in their watches).
Date: September 19, 1958.

 

Miles Coverdale was best known as the one who made the first translation of the Bible into English. He also worked on the compilation of the Book of Common Player. He was an inspiring preacher and became Bishop of Exeter and a Chaplain to the King of England.

In the Ship's Badge for H.M.C.S. Coverdale reference to Miles Coverdale is shown by a cross flory. The Navy is shown by a silver anchor set upon a red roundel (white and red being the colours of Canada) and from the four saltirewise points of the roundel are an equal number of wings in gold, indicative of the Communications Branch of the Navy, which is the function of Coverdale.