The old Ryan homestead, which was located until recent years, on the Coverdale Road near Downey Avenue was (as Robert W. Murphy expressed it so well in 1969), "where it all began."
It was in that white frame house that Byron Dobson began to see the need for post war housing. He built one house in 1944 on the east side of Rivierview (now Wilmot Avenue; the second entitled "Street Names and Their Origins" give the reader considerable information". Another was built in 1945 and three in 1946, of which the first, 402 Coverdale Road, was purchased by Mr. W.A. West. In 1947, it became apparent to Mr. Dobson that he had a potential 'gold mine' and construction soared to 49.
The realty firm of Taylor and Steeves had been involved since 1946 and convinced Mr. Dobson that a name for the new community was necessary and so a contest was organized in 1947 with a building lot as a prize. Mr. Philip "Scottie" Forthingham was the winner and so Riverview became the unofficial name as the school district was still Middle Coverdale. Mr. Dobson had favoured Riverbank but was told this name was already in use in Kings and Carleton Counties.
During the period 1946-1947 veterans in the carpentry course at the new Canadian Veterans Training and Rehabilitation Centre (this was the beginning of the Technical Institute and today - the Community College) framed three or four houses for veterans. In 1947 a two-room white frame school was built and is now used by the Lions Club. The construction of schools is an integral part of the growth of Riveriew and details may be found under the sections "Schools."
Helen Renouf recalls Dobson's sawmill in the vicinity of Yale Avenue when they arrived in 1949, and that it continued in operation at that site for another couple of years. She also rmembers that Elton Mollins had a planing mill near Dobson's sawmill. Houses meant homes for famiies and hthese families required stores for their supplies. Since the main access to and from Moncton was via the Gunningsville Bridge, the store at the Gunningsville end of the bridge, operated by Stewart Steeves, became a bus yspot.
Byron Dobson in 1948 built a store and lived upstairs. The store was sold in 1955 and now houses a Pizza Delight and other business. Elton Mollins operated this store after he closed out his mill. Stores, supermarkets, etc. are given under "Businesses" and a listing similar to the Yellow Pages is given in the Appendices.
Byron Dobson also made a contribution to the history of 'scowing' on the Petitcodiac. The full story of that era is told in Chocolate River by E.W. Larracey (1985). In 1949 Byron Dobson bought the 90 foot scow, Sherman B. in order to haul sand and gravel from Martin's Head on the Fundy coast. Dobson wanted the scow to come all the way and unload near the new development, but Captain Jack Powell of Dover would not risk taking the scow under the Gunningsville Bridge due to the treacherous currents in that area.
Dobson then built a landing by a little creek near the end of Wendell Street in Gunningsville, and unloading took place with the materials being trucked about 2 miles. This landing was on a slant and late in 1950 a near accident occurred, so all future trips ended in Moncton. the added trucking costs brought the operation to a close by the autumn of 1951. During this period the lighthouse on Outhouse Point was in operation. So many of the homes built in this period had their foundations made of sand a gravel hauled up the River in the scow Sherman B.