The Riverview Community Association was formed in 1948 along with its feminine counterpart to act as a voluntary group of which every householder and his wife were automatically members, whether or not they wished to take advantage of the membership. Robert L. Lennox was the first president.
The Association worked for the good of the ever-growing community, whether for needed schools, letter carrier service or recreational facilities. It was in fact, the first step toward local government. The residents of today owe the member of this Association a huge vote of thanks for the steps taken and the steady progress attained.
Now who were these new residents? Where did they come from? What did they do for a living?
The largest number were veterans from the Second World War with young families. Others were older Monctonians who decided to move into this new area. Still others were associated with the Air Age - Trans-Canada Airlines (now Air Canada), pilots, air traffic controllers and other Department of Transport personnel. Later in the 1950s, many manufacturers' representatives and sales executives lived here. a number of the early residents are still with us and recall the earlier years only too well. It was close to urban living in an almost rural setting and if you had been transferred from a large metropolitan region, the contrast was a pleasure to be savoured to the full. Some civil servants were fortunate enough to be transferred back here an thus live in Riverview for the second time.
Byron Dobson now formed the Dobson Construction Company, purchased over a dozen nearby farms and Riverview began to move up the hill and westward. It is worth noting that Town Planning began in Moncton in 1948, and in the 1950s under its Chairman, Joseph McClure, a long-time resident of Gunningsville, became the Greater Moncton Town Planning Commission with control over and respresentation from the areas of Dieppe and Riverview. Despite the enthusiasm of its members, the Riverview Community Association had limitations with respect to holding title to land. The best example pertains to the problem of receving title to the block of land which the Association proposed to use as a park and which is now known as Patricia Park.
It was necessary for the Association to become incorporated, that is, to secure Letters Patent. This was done and the land was deeded to the Riverview Community Association Limited on January 2, 1952. The provisional Directors were Byron F. London, William U'Ren, William Ruddock, William West, Matthew H. Biggs, and Gorley E. Brown. William U'Ren and Byron F. London became the first President and Secretary. The deeds uses the term "Riverview Heights" while the description of the block of land refers to the "Riverview Sub-Division." Equally interesting is the fact that of the four streets named, only Bradford remains; Maple became Devere and the streets prefixed by "River" are discussed under "Street Names."
A Fall Fair was held by the Community Association in 1951 and was such a success that another was held the following year.
The year, 1952, saw a provincial election and Albert County elected two Conservatives for the firs time since 1930. A Riverview resident, Claude Devere Taylor, a partner in the Taylor and Steeves Real Estate firm, and formerly a teacher in the Bridgedale School District #5, was elected and promptly appointed Minister of Education, a position he held until the Flemming Government was defeated in 1960 He was the first teacher to hold this portfolio, which, to this time, had been combined with federal and municipal relations.
Two other points should also be mentioned. The whole field of municipal finances was under review, as it became very apparent the County Councils organized in 1877 were for rural areas and since such Councils were only required to meet twice a year (though some met quarterly) it was not difficult to see lack of communication and jealousy between such Councils and rapidly growing urban areas. To further complicate matters, there were in the counties, three forms of taxes; the county or land tax, too often based on an outdated system of assessment; the school tax which often could not maintain the present school(s), let alone additions or new construction; and the road tax based upon your frontage on the highway which was usually 'worked off' by statute labour. Such a system was, at best, antiquated and complicated; while at worst, inefficient and subject to abuse. The provincial government did attempt to correct the injustices of this system by allowing various communities to be designated as Local Improvement districts for certain specific services, for example, sewage system, street lighting, etc.
When Byron Dobson informed the Association that he was no longer able to service the existing sewer system or extend it, it was clear that the ownership and responsibility had to pass to some authoritative body, which possessed the power to assess and collect individual sewer fees, etc.